Sunday, May 18, 2008

Coming Full Circle


I've been running into lots of former clients recently, that I used to represent before I closed my practice, who are increasingly seeking out ways to properly monetize their assets.  From producers to performance artists (rappers, singers, rockers), they are universally arriving at a stage of enlightenment that I preached back in the day.

Essentially, they have come to realize that "DIY" (Do-It-Yourself) is the order of the day.  Instead of chasing the brass ring, and holding onto the dream of a major record label deal (if you didn't get the memo, they're fairly hard to come by), I advocated putting in the work and reaping the fruits of their labor.  I could never reconcile the lopsided nature and the sheer inequity of recording agreements.  

I used to offer my clients the analogy of a mortgage when it came to signing recording or production deals.  You see, when you purchase a house and take out a mortgage, you're agreeing to repay the loan to the bank, with interest.  When your mortgage is repaid, you own the title to your house, free and clear.  But when you're lender is the record label, even when you've paid them back in full, plus interest (and the label is fully recouped), they still own your masters IN PERPETUITY (that means forever).  So there was always a negative incentive to entering a recording agreement, that never went away.

The few clients who understood my analogy were bummed, but felt that it was worth it to get the "exposure" that came with signing to a major label.  A lot of those folks are flipping burgers or telemarketing now.  Still others felt that they would be so famous and do so well that they would force the label to renegotiate their deal or they would 'find God' (as a means of forcing he label to renegotiate or lose their asset).  I don't recall getting any RIAA plaques from anyone...perhaps it got lost in the mail.  

The one group of people who got the message loud and clear were the ones who rejected those lopsided offers, and redoubled their efforts to go I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T (shout out to Webbie).  A few of those cats have sought me out for some more doses of the good business advice I was doling out back-in-the-day.  And I'm more than happy to oblige because they are well on their way to independent success.

Unlike those who think that success occurs overnight, these folks have been grinding it out, developing their personal and professional networks, tightening up their catalogues, researching publishing, digital media and distribution mechanisms, and generally honing heir business skills.  I find our interactions are light years further than we were when we first linked up, and incredibly productive.

So I'd say look out for Face Fashion, Dough Lo Entertainment, Omar Jermaine, U.G.O., and pretty much anyone else who's name gets dropped in this blog.  The mere fact that I am dealing with them is reason enough to follow my lead, but if you're looking for more, watch, wait and listen, and the proof will manifest itself right before your eyes.

No comments: