Wednesday, June 10, 2009

To Upgrade or Not To Upgrade, That Is the Question


I've had my trusty iPhone 2 G since it dropped. In two months, my 2 year contract expires, and I will be free and clear of AT&T's onerous terms. But now that the 3GS is here, chock full of exciting new features (that aren't available for the 2G), I am faced with a dilemma.

FYI, I paid $399 for my 8 gig iPhone a few years ago. My initial excitement for having copped the freshest phone in the market, soon gave way to dismay, as Apple decided to drop the price (and offer that measly credit to suckers like me).

I was even further disheartened with the abysmal Edge Network, and the less-than-stellar browsing experience outside of a WiFi signal. Eventually, I came to accept these limitations, still happy to be part of the exclusive iPhone family.

When the 3G was released, not soon thereafter, I began to worry that I had a 'sucker' tattooed to my forehead. Surely, Apple hasn't released a new iPhone less than a year after the introduction of the first. I couldn't stomach shelling out any more money for a phone, which had so quickly ushered in the obselescence of my own.

I stuck to my guns, though, and avoided the siren call of the 3G, with it's (allegedly) faster 3G connection speeds, and (supposed) enhancements. Yeah, it's a little sleeker, but it's not sleek enough!

Now the 3GS teases me. It calls me. I've got a video camera, voice controls, a compass, MMS, cut&paste, blah, blah, blah. It costs less than I paid for my 2G and way more features. It's bringing sexy back. Can I afford to be without it?

Well, for now, the answer to that question is an unequivocal 'Yes. I can.' Truth is, I'm broke. As much as I'd love to own the latest and greatest, I can't justify yet another gadget (but damn! I want it!)

If anyone within the sound of my blog feels moved to charity...hit a bruh up.

1 comment:

Rose said...

I know the feeling all too well my friend...the Palm Pre has been calling since the "concept" stage...and resisting has been painful every single day!